or what I do when I am not working or farming …

Big Mail Day

Posted by mobarger on Apr-25-2015

First of all, this arrived from The Loopy Ewe.
That’s fine – I like Blue Moon, the colors are lovely, and I like it very much.
The problem is I DON’T REMEMBER ORDERING THIS YARN. I threw in some samples of Soak Wash, which was very nice and thoughtful. But I have absolutely no recollection of purchasing any of it.

But this guy, I remember.
Opal Sweet and Spicy, color “Cake Pops.” It has been haunting me, taunting me from so many blogs. I started on my quest about a month ago, searching the usual vendors, then googling, searching eBay and Ravelry stashes. Not all who had it really did, and those who did have it did not want to part with it. And it continued to to taunt me.

Then I found 3 on Amazon. From Germany. Shipping one ball cost the same as shipping all 3 so I bought all 3. Why not.
I love these yarns. Sure they are machine-dyed but the designs are fun to watch develop and the color schemas are great.

So I see a lot of Cake Pops in my future. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, do you?

Cases for sale

Posted by mobarger on Mar-14-2015

Doing some cleaning out and found some cases that you might enjoy more than me!


Brand new, never used Namaste Small Clutch, color saddle.


Still has the price tag! Lots of pockets.


Retails for $39.99 new if you can find it. Asking $25/BO plus shipping from me to you.

One more Della Q case. This is for circs. New in packaging. Never used. It’s a The Que ® Theo
Circular Needle Case, retails for $46. It can be yours for $30/BO plus shipping from me to you.

Added 3/15

The Loopy Ewe clear acrylic tote bag. Red zipper. $5/BO plus shipping.

Set of 3 nesting acrylic bags, The Loopy Ewe Sock Club. Largest is about 8×11″, middle size about 7×10″ and the smallest is around 4×6″.
$10/BO plus shipping.

Feel free to make an offer on anything that looks interesting. Thank you!

Rhinebeck 2014

Posted by mobarger on Oct-21-2014


Annual trip to Rhinebeck, now in the books.
I didn’t take too many pictures this year. Clockwise, from top left: The most photographed tree in NY State; Llamas on parade with nun in habit with her cashmere goats bringing up the rear; a sheep is sheared; traditional lunch of Wegman’s sub and fizzy blood orange soda (seriously, I get this every year over waiting in line for hours for something at the Fairgrounds); fiberglass cashmere knitting goat on display at SpringTide Farm booth.

I knew a lot of people would be going on Saturday — people I really wanted to see — yet I didn’t make firm plans to meet up with anyone. Instead I thought, “Oh, I’ll just run into them. It’ll just happen and it will be great.” I was wrong. I didn’t really see anyone and now I am sad. Saturday was very very crowded. Despite the weather, or maybe because of the promised weather. It was supposed to be a pretty day, 30% chance of rain, high of 70. It rained for the first 90 minutes of my drive and a quick cloudburst at the Fairgrounds announced my arrival. It was chilly, certainly not 70 (although in some buildings it got pretty warm due to crowds). Did I mention how crowded it was?

I was glad I had a sweater. I wore Joji Knits Worsted Boxy in Miss Babs Yowza. I finished weaving in all the ends and blocked it Friday evening. It was still damp when I left Saturday morning so once I drove through the bad weather, I threw it up in my dash and turned on the heat and the fan. Worked like a charm although it made the interior of my truck smell like a wet sheep for a while.

I did buy yarn although I have no business buying yarn. I was tempted by Verdant Gryphon but the line scared me so I passed. Same with Miss Babs. And Lisa Souza. And Brooks Farm and The Fold. That was ok, I found plenty else to choose from. My first stop as every other year recently, was Briar Rose. And yes that booth was packed. And surrounded by the line for Jenny the Potter. But I picked up 2 skeins of a nice blue for a sweater. O-Wool was there and I picked up a nice load of Local for a multicolored sweater.

Watch for this yarn to be prevalent in garments next year! Harrisville Designs had a huge crate of this color on sale for $5 each. I picked up enough for a sweater and ran into a group of women in line who originally were from Ithaca (their Ithaca Bakery bag gave them away).

rug bump
Hard to get a good picture of this but it is a “rug bump.” It’s alpaca fiber bound to a cotton core and although some people knit with it, I bought it to weave a small rug. I love the oceanic colors. It’s from Still River Mill.

Picked up 2 skeins of sock yarn (from Gale’s Art and Into the Whirled) and some buttons from Kokonoelle. And some lovely cheese from Sprout Creek Farm. Love their cheese.

And a project bag big enough for my tab if I want to carry it around. This is from Three Bags Full. I may have gushed a little bit about how much I loved her bags. I think she hears that a lot.

There was a ton of fabulous knitwear on display – and some not so fabulous. There were too many people wearing capelets knit from super bulky yarn in my opinion! But some lovely lovely sweaters including a lot of entrelac, some incredible shawls and hats, and I bet a lot of socks no one saw. I spotted the fox sweater in the wild and it was amazing in person. I was pleased to hear people comment on my sweater and even recognize the pattern.

I think the biggest trends this year were gradient yarn kits. They seemed to be everywhere. And homemade soap.

It was a great time this year and I can’t wait for next October. Until then I want to knit all the things because I am now inspired.
And also may have too much yarn.